Skip to main content

Using Notability to Weed the Library

This is my second year in my current elementary school library, and it is way past time to do a heavy weeding and reshape the fiction section.

I always struggle with the best report in Destiny to use, or making weeding decisions, as I can't seem to build a report that really gives me the information I want - a Library Statistics report doesn't include a barcode number nor can I figure out how to only show the circulations statistics for the last five years, and a Library copies report will only allow me to check the date it was last accounted - no circulation statistics, and for some copies that would've been the last inventory (this could be user error, I admit). As I was debating what to use, someone on our state's school library listserv posted that they use a Shelf List report #PalmToForehead, so that's what I created for the fiction section to start.

As I was organizing my pens, highlighters and clipboard, and getting ready to press print on my 60 page report, lightning bolts of inspiration struck.  Wait just a minute, isn't this what I've been doing with Notability for the last two weeks as I study up on the NGSS standards??? Why in the world would I print this report when I can do this all digitally AND never have to lose a highlighter in the stacks?? #PalmToForehead for the second time in 10 minutes.


Creating the Report

To create the report I logged into Destiny on my iPad and generated a Shelf List Report.


 I limited the results to the Fiction section with a count on Circulations from 2009-the current date, and selected the publication year be included, with an output as a PDF.  Then I ran the report.

When I opened the report from the Report Manager, it opened in a new tab.  I pressed near the top of the document and the "Open With" menu came up on the iPad, from here, I was able to select Notability.

The report opened in Notability, I created a new note and began highlighting all the books with zero circulations in one color, and those with 1 circulation in another, I also made notes to myself to check certain things when I got to the shelf.  I was able to analyze the report in an evening when watching TV, and the next morning I went in and started pulling books to be weeded.

How to Screencast

Here's a short screencast I made to show you how I got the report into Notability.

Need some More Info about Notability?

Here's another screencast I made about the basics of Notability.

As of today, May 4, 2014, Notability is still the app of the week, so it wouldn't hurt to download it, otherwise you can pick it up for about $2.99 in your device's app store

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this idea. It's motivating me to get weeding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just downloaded it yesterday, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I ask why you're downloading your shelf list as a PDF and not as an Excel that can be sorted by circulations and publication date? I love the look of the app and the software, but that's a lot of time highlighting when Excel will do it for you and you can just print out the oldest and least circulated books in shelf order...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Excel for all of those things - and have written more if/then formulas this year than I have in my life, but it was one of those weeks where I was on the go quite a bit and it was nice to be able to work on the go with iPad. Plus, if I can avoid printing reports these days that's a bonus. Using Excel would have required time at my desk, and that just wasn't happening. Maybe in the future I'll be able to send those reports to Excel, sort them, save them as a PDF then save them to Google Drive or email them so that I can open them in Notability, which would probably be helpful for those larger sections of the library. This method worked great for me and allowed me to a get a really good look at titles in the collection and circulations - but it might not be for everyone!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used these reports on my laptop, but this was just rants to using the iPad like this! Plus, I love having a record of my notes. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, autocorrect! It was just brilliant using the iPad!

      Delete
  6. we only sell items above 99%, if you are interested, we will quote with the best.

    FOR MORE INQUIRY CONTACT US ON

    TEXT,CALL OR WHATSAPP +12092131540

    EMAIL:worldchemstore@protonmail.com

    WICKR:CHEMDAWG17

    website:https://infusedmeds.com/


    ReplyDelete
  7. We sell and supply high quality and purity (medical chemicals, research chemicals, plant food) in both large and small quantities...below is a list of our products.


    Buy Alpha-PVP Online

    Buy Bio Cocaine Online

    Buy Blue Crystal Meth Online

    ReplyDelete
  8. Packhit is a global supplier of Header Card Boxes/Topper Boxes. Custom Retail and bulk plans. Free shipping in US & Canada. Faster turnarounds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Library Centers for Kindergarten & First Grade

Center Inspiration After much debate at the end of last school year, I was able to get 10 extra minutes added on to each of my classes for this year boosting class library time from 35 minutes a week to 45 minutes a week for my fixed schedule.  For me, 35 minutes a week, just wasn't enough to pack in all the awesomeness I wanted to achieve.  It seemed like we would just be getting started into something great when it was time to go. I was thrilled to know that this year I was going to have the extra time to work with my classes on research skills and technology projects while working in more time to allow them to browse the shelves and look at books.  That being said, truth be told, I was completely freaked out about what to do with my kindergartners for 45 minutes. Did I mention in my former life, I was a high school English teacher?  Four years ago, my first two weeks in an elementary library were a complete culture shock to me. I was used to walking into a room and just say

Project Genre-fy the Fiction Section!

After a lot of thinking, I finally decided to take the leap this summer and move the fiction section of my elementary library from the traditional first-three-letters-of-the-last- name organization to a genre based organization. Now that the project is almost complete, I cannot wait to get the kids back in the library so I can show them! Deciding Factors There are many reasons individual teacher librarians might choose to genrefy their library.  For me, I was driven to start with the fiction section because I've noticed an alarming drop off in students checking out books by the time they get to fifth grade.  This drop off could be for any number of reasons: increased activities after school, loss of interest in the materials they see on the shelf, lack of time, or they could be overwhelmed by book after book organized by letter. I realized, too, that although my 3-5 graders don't ask for "funny" books or "animal" stories, they seem to get stuck on c

Digital Interactive Notebooks: Getting Started

Post appeared also on FtEdTech It's no real secret that I love Digital Interactive Notebooks.  I create them every chance I get and encourage teachers to use them for everything from long term Project Based Learning (PBL) projects to weekly unit work with vocabulary .   The Interactive Notebook (INB) has long been a staple of the classroom to engage students more directly with their notes.  The traditional interactive notebook often includes traditional student notes, questions, and interactives that students cut, fold, color and paste into their notebooks. You might find graphic organizers, pockets with measuring tools, data charts, and foldables that act as study aides.  In the NSTA article " Science Interactive Notebooks in the Classroom " Jocelyn Young explains the benefits of INB when she shares that " By using notebooks, students model one of the most vital and enduring functions of scientists in all disciplines—recording information, figures, and data.